In the ever-evolving world of insurance, the P&C market has been on a rollercoaster ride that’s enough to make even the most seasoned industry veteran feel a tad queasy. As 2023 unfolds, the forecast isn’t looking too sunny, with profitability seeming like a distant dream set for 2025. From underwriting hiccups to catastrophe losses that feel like plot twists from a suspense novel, let’s dive deep into the currents of the P&C market and see what’s really brewing beneath those numbers.
- Poor personal lines underwriting is the main culprit for the not-so-great results. Expect a personal auto combined ratio of a whopping 109.5 for 2023. Ouch!
- The overall P&C industry is looking at a net combined ratio of 102.2 for 2023, which is like déjà vu from 2022’s 102.4.
- Hope for profitability? Not so fast! The industry won’t see a ratio below 100 (aka profitability) until 2025. Patience is a virtue, right?
- Big personal lines carriers had a rough start in 2023, leading to more carriers taking a step back.
- Catastrophe losses in the first half of 2023 were like a bad movie sequel, even surpassing the drama of 2021.
- But hey, there’s a silver lining! The personal auto net combined ratio is showing baby steps of improvement. Plus, commercial lines are the star students, performing well.
- Homeowners, brace yourselves. The 2023 net combined ratio forecast is 104.8, almost mirroring 2022. And guess who bore the brunt of the 2023 catastrophes? Yep, homeowners.
- Replacement costs have skyrocketed by 55% from 2019-2022. This means underwriting losses will continue their tour until 2025.
Hot Take: The P&C market’s journey feels like a rollercoaster that’s been stuck in the loop-de-loop for a bit too long. While we’re all holding onto our hats (and policies) waiting for that sweet profitability in 2025, it’s essential to remember that every industry has its ups and downs. And hey, at least we’re getting some thrilling twists and turns along the way! So, buckle up, enjoy the ride, and maybe grab some popcorn while we wait for the market to find its way back to the profit station.
– P&C Market
– underwriting performance
– combined ratio
– Insurance Information Institute
– catastrophe losses
– Insurance Risk Management Institute
– Dale Porfilio
– premium growth.
Original Article – https://www.iamagazine.com/news/p-c-market-to-remain-unprofitable-until-2025_1?__hstc=79369803.43307d29f00f4ae235c6d5bfec2f896e.1673641331140.1692884177419.1692891302684.303&__hssc=79369803.38.1692891302684&__hsfp=551255700&utm_campaign=News%20and%20Views&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=271613682&_hsenc=p2ANqtz–xdQwzhIh7vomoXcMa8EYSSm09kprP54PpoO5fJxwEnAP2fBJEW0K_CPmCX1j1tK9P012lNOkIaX2IzgRJMGgoBU9ZM8ItszU3Zl8R6D8V2cqPMwQ&utm_content=271613682&utm_source=hs_email